Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Year In Review...kind of...

Wow! I cannot believe that this year is over. It really seems like time goes faster and faster with each passing year. It scares me to death to think of what the next few years will bring.

But in watching this year come to a close, I thought I would do a quick

2009 EVANS FAMILY IN REVIEW

Just as I try to convince myself that this is the craziest time in our lives, each coming year seems to get crazier. Our boys are all going in 5 different directions and the only thing consistent about them is the fact that they all keep growing. Which means they are constantly out-growing their clothes and shoes and needing me to spend more money to replace them.
Our house is one of constant chaos and is always a disaster. I can spend all day long cleaning it, but it takes a mere 2 minutes from when the kids walk in the door after school, for it to be ripped apart again. Sometimes it is extremely frustrating to say the least.
A typical day in our home, consists of usually one sick child, the doorbell ringing, a basketball bouncing off the wall, someone crying, someone else fighting, boys wrestling on the floor, which usually leads to someone needing a bandage or a bag of ice on a new lump. Toys strewn across the floor, which once picked up and put away, are returned to the floor seconds later. The phone ringing, the dog barking, a school project due tomorrow, that we just found out about now. Piano lessons, guitar lessons, basketball practice, friends running in and out, homework, all while the television blares on in the background.
One day, I'm sure I will find myself sitting in the middle of this big house in utter quiet, and I will miss the chaos. But today, it just makes me tired thinking that I have to do it all again tomorrow.

No,,,honestly. I love the chaos that is my home. I love my boys and the challenges that they bring home with them every day. I love the fact that as I grow older, I am gaining more patience for the things that I have no control over (either that or I'm becoming numb...not sure which it is.).

This year, Alex turned 12 and received the Aaronic Priesthood. He started Jr. High and has loved it so much. He is still a complete sports addict, and cannot wait for his jr. jazz basketball season to start.

Eric and Joshua turned 10 and started 5th grade. This has been a bit of a challenge for Josh, but as the year progresses he is showing great improvement. I keep telling him that if he can survive this year, he can survive anything. He loves to draw, swim, and ski. Eric on the other hand is loving 5th grade. School comes very easy to him and he really loves to be around his friends and to learn. Eric loves to just play. He loves to be helpful and prides himself on being responsible. He is such a sweet kid.

Chase is 7 and started 2nd grade. He is a very bright kid and is a grade and a half ahead on his reading level. School seems to come very easy to him as well. He is a little bit of an introvert. He loves to play by himself. Legos or video games are his favorite thing. He really doesn't rely on other people to make him feel important. He is a very self assured little guy.

Tyler is 5 and started Kindergarten. He loves it but wishes it were longer. He doesn't like the fact that he doesn't get to eat lunch at school like his brothers. He really is ready for a whole day at school, but like everything else he needs to be patient and wait for his time to come. Tyler likes everything. He likes video games, he likes toys, he loves to play with his cousin Brit, and Logan next door ( and gratefully Logan is very patient with Tyler, considering he is 4 years older ).

Steve and I successfully planned and participated in our Stakes Trek youth conference, and were glad to see it come to an end after a year of planning. It was a huge project, but we were grateful for the opportunity to be a part of it.

Otherwise, Steve and I have not changed much. Unlike the boys, we are no longer growing taller, but the two of us are most definitely growing wider.

We took a few family trips this year. One to Disneyland in April. Which of course was fantastic. I don't think Disneyland will ever get boring for us. We love it there so much.
We took a couple of short trips to St. George, and we spent a long weekend in Lake Powell, with Steve's sister and her family.
We also, had the opportunity, to travel to Fresno to visit with my cousin and attend her daughters wedding.

All in all, we had a great year. It passed much too fast, and I wish I could learn to focus more on the present and enjoy this time I have with my kids. I know that before I know it, they are going to be grown and gone, and I will miss them terribly.

I'm not much for New Years Resolutions. I feel like if there is something in my life that I need to change or work on, it needs to start today. I don't wait until January 1st and pretend that I am going to stick with it for the year. I start today. And If I mess us, I start again tomorrow. But I'm thinking that the thing I need to work on starting today, is cherishing the time more, appreciating where we are and enjoying what we are doing. Before I know it, these kids will be grown and be raising kids of their own. Before I know it, my body wont be able to do the things that it does today. Before I know it, I will wish that I had this time back. I guess it really is time to stop wishing the time away and enjoying every moment that I have. (But this is not my New Years Resolution)

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

I loved this post. I am also guilty of thinking ahead so much that I'm not always HERE. My goal in general is to not only be HERE but to be PRESENT. You know, IN the moment, not just observing it.

It's been a good year overall. Aren't we both fortunate? May the New Year bring more good things for your family.