Sunday, April 4, 2010

Parting is such Sweet Sorrow!

Over the past few weeks we have been trying to eliminate the 'clutter' in the house. Moving the kids around in their rooms has actually made this process a little bit easier, just because we are cleaning out bedrooms. I am amazed at what a hoarder I've become. I don't mean too but I get really attached to those things that we have acquired over the years. Especially those things that belonged to younger boys who once lived in our home. But sadly, I have a hard time saying goodbye to the baby things.

The garage alone has been its own dilemma. Steve doesn't want me to keep the two tricycles that the twins once rode around on. He doesn't want me to keep the little bikes, or scooters or any of their "firsts". I've found baby clothes, toys and books. All too young for our growing children. I know that I'm not going to have any more kids, I don't want to have any more kids. But parting with all of these things is one of the hardest things I've had to do. I know that someone else should be getting use out of them. I know that they are not doing anyone any good sitting in a box in my storage room. But still, giving them away is like saying goodbye to a part of my life that I now know is over for good, and I'm not sure that I'm ready to say goodbye yet. Kind of weird. I know it's irrational. I'm grateful that my kids are now older, out of diapers and feeding/dressing themselves. I'm so happy that I no longer have to sit and supervise everything that they do. But I think that I worked so hard to get those kids into my home that now, seeing that all of that is behind us and never to be again is difficult.

Anyway, I was so glad to have a young man show up at my door on Friday collecting used books. It pushed me to finally get the last of the baby books gathered and out of the house. His timing couldn't have been better. Now to actually stop at the DI and deposit all of the bags of clothes and toys that I've been hauling around in the back of my van.

Goofy things, but I know I will be happy when all is said and done. Out of sight out of mind, it just needs to get out of sight so that I can get it out of mind.

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

I feel you on that one. We've got so much more to get rid of too. It's hard to let go, to admit we've moved on and we're frankly too old for babies. Sigh. We're pushing 40 now, you know. Both of us. Scary! And yet strangely exciting too.

slingwall said...

I have made over $2000 dollars this year for my kids college accounts on things that we don't use anymore around the house. It motivates me to get rid of it so that my kids will be able to at least afford books for college.

Stacie said...

Seriously Shannon!!! I can't believe you've made that much. That's amazing. Maybe I should start trying to make money off of some of this stuff. Maybe then I'd want to part with it.